Whoever said that only women find it difficult to make the best decisions when shopping is completely out of his/her mind. Truth be told, there are really times that men encounter more problems when shopping than women especially since they are the ones who are usually left with no guide. But with a few tips and tricks, I’m sure men will find their way to the best clothes that could mirror their natural sexiness and masculinity.
Image source: www.zazzlemedia.co.uk
One of the most common problems men encounter is shopping for their own size. Before we push through, it is important that you embrace your own body type first because without fully accepting who you are, you would not be able to find the best clothes for you. This is true not only for men, but for women as well. No matter how big or small you are, one general tip is to learn to work with what you have. Flaunt your assets and hide your flaws–yes, even if your flaws are so annoyingly obvious.
Firstly, nothing beats a tailored shirt. Whether you’re small, big or excessively thin and tall, you can always find comfort in tailored shirts. Conversely, if you do not find it convenient to look for a tailor and customize your shirt according to your body type, what you can do is look for the brand that can best suit your body type.
For the Short Man: If you are small in stature, do not lose hope. You can still dress sharply by looking for shirts with narrow collars. Also, it is best that you find shirts with vertical or tall prints on them as they could really make you taller—yes, we call that optical illusion. And of course, you have all the right in the world to keep your shirt tucked. However, remember not to over-accessorize.
Worried about your height? Create an Illusion by wearing vertical stripes!
Fortunately, you don’t have to have a hard time looking for a vertical stripes printed shirt.
Blue Jade have it!
BRO, YOU CAN BUY IT HERE
For the Athletic Man: If you have an athletic physique, then I am quite sure you won’t have a lot of problems in looking for the right fit. What you really need to consider aside from getting the right fit is looking for a fabric that is more advanced in terms of thermoregulation. Sports apparels sell these high-end fabrics to make sure that you are given the best thermal protection. Also, layering is one thing you could do to make sure that you are protected, rain or shine.
For the Big Man: Big is beautiful, and you just have to embrace that. Now, one common problem of oversized men is that they tend to resist dressing their size. Remember, wearing clothes that are larger than you won’t help you look small. Rather, you’d look bigger once you do so. The same thing goes when you opt to dress 1 size lower than your original size. Additionally, looking for tall or vertical prints can also make you look smaller than you actually are. And lastly, accessorize with a narrow belt as it could really work magic with a tucked shirt.
Still not convinced that even fat men can dress well?
See how this 50 fashionable fat men pulled up their trousers and shirts.
Still can’t find the right size for you? Have it tailored.
Let Jane’s hands do the magic in getting the right size for you.
You colour choices are crucial for making you look your best. Always remember that light colours can easily attract attention so it is best that you do not use light shades for the largest parts of your body. Instead, use dark colours for the biggest parts and use light tones for the smaller ones.
Finally, do not be afraid to experiment with colour. Some of the most unforgettable personas in the fashion industry are known for their fearlessness in terms of playing with colours.
Casual and Formal Wear
Celebrities like Brad Pitt, Gerard Butler and George Clooney really spell GORGEOUS whenever they appear in formal Hollywood celebrations in the same way that they look hot when they are in their everyday wear. One thing that you could learn from these actors is the power of well-tailored clothes matched with the right accessories. Therefore, may you be dressing for a formal occasion or a casual wear, what matters is your tailored jeans and shirts.
For instance, a casual inspired look by Brad Pitt that does not cost much is a plain white shirt topped with a rugged looking black jacket, a pair of shades, white sneakers and a backpack. If you are looking for a formal suit, on the other hand, you can wow your own red carpet by making sure that the colours you choose really complement each other. And of course, don’t forget to find the perfect pair of shoes.
Finding the Right Jeans
Just like your suit, the best jeans are the tailored ones. When shopping for a pair or two of jeans, look for the best fit and don’t forget to have them tailored.
No matter what clothes you wear, never underestimate the important role confidence plays in making you look like the most handsome man on earth. Embrace yourself and everything else will follow.
Do and Don’ts: A Man’s Guide to Avoiding Fashion Disasters
Having a little fashion trouble? You’re not alone. It’s no secret that many guys have trouble dressing up, dressing down, or just dressing in general. Guys need help and they need it now; whether they are dressing to the nines for the clubs or finding something casual to take to the park. Here are a few tips (and a few very big no-nos) that any guy can follow to look nice anywhere, anytime.
- Do not ever, ever (Need it be said one more time?) wear socks with sandals! Where this awful combination came from is anyone’s guess, but there is no excuse for anyone wearing it if they have a mirror. Sandal socks don’t say hip and they don’t say spontaneity. Instead, they say ‘clueless’ or ‘doesn’t even try.’
- Avoid short shorts. Maybe you have been going to the gym and maybe you did get a tan. It doesn’t matter. Short shorts will just make you stick out like a piece of hay in a needle stack. Instead, if you must wear shorts, get some that reach below your knees. Remember this: “Skin above is very hot. Skin beneath is very not.”
- Another thing on the subject of shorts: Don’t wear gym shorts outside the gym! They’re ugly and baggy and don’t make anybody think anything but “sloppy college kid.” And even if you are a college kid, that’s still not an excuse.
- White shoes with black socks. Black socks with white shoes. Equally ugly, equally avoidable. The secret to acceptable footwear is easy. Wear light with lighter colours and dark with darker colours. Although, if possible, matching is always best; even brown with black is best avoided. Light and dark colours put together often clash in a garish way.
- Don’t try too hard. There’s no need to wear rolled up corduroys, polished spats, suspenders, aviators, a knit sweater, and a hat with a feather in it all in one day. You can look good without spending an hour grooming and dressing yourself every morning. Simplify, simplify, simplify.
Avoid the above major offenders and you have little to worry about fashion-wise. But we haven’t covered everything. You may still have some unanswered questions and conundrums that cry for explanation. Well, here are a few simple, easy things that anyone can do that will generally be helpful.
- For heaven’s sake, ask for help! Everyone has a friend, or a sister, or even a co-worker who they can ask for help and there is no reason not to. Chances are your friend will be flattered that you asked and be happy to give you some pointers. Asking costs nothing and hopefully you will actually learn a few things.
- Do wear a tie that will match your suit and shirt. Oh please, don’t make a terrible mismatch of colors. Don’t wear red tie in a green shirt unless you want to make your co-worker’s feel that it’s Yuletide season again. Sometimes a simple one will do the trick. See the The Modern Day Bond from Blue Jade’s Tie Collection. You don’t have to try hard just to be sexy! You can be oozing HOT SEXY by just wearing a simple tie. That’s the key – the less detail – the more elegant it becomes.
- No matter what you do or what you are wearing, there is one rule that, if followed, will always do you good. Gentlemen, wear clothes that fit. There is no reason to walk around in pants that look like they belong to your fat uncle. Clothes are meant to go on your body, not hang off of it. Neither is there a reason for them to look like they belong to your kid brother. If you want to wear tighter clothes, trim your waistline, not your jeans.
- Mix it up with a little colour! A touch of whimsy never did anyone harm. On any old day, pick out one bright thing to wear with the rest of your outfit. You will see that a dash of colour helps, and your friends will notice, too. Too much grey says all work and no play.
- Get yourself a nice jacket. Every man needs one. Most men think they have one. They don’t. There are jackets, and then there are jackets to wear when selling used cars. What you want is called a suit jacket; Daniel Craig wears them a lot in the Bond movies. Get something that is of good quality and that fits well, preferably tailored (the heftier price is worth it), and makes you look smart. Voila! Crisp lines and a touch of style for any man. Even with jeans and a turtle-neck.
- Keep up! Twitter isn’t the only thing that has trends. It doesn’t cost much in time or money. Just take a little time to look through a copy of GQ, Esquire or some other men’s lifestyle magazines once in a while. You can get ideas, be informed about the latest trends (you don’t have to always follow them), and find answers to some simple questions just by looking (what goes with what, for example). You’ll be among the better-dressed for it.
- Those shades… Yes, those shades. Pick the right one. It’s never too late to wear fashionable shades.
So there you have it. Do the ‘dos’ and not the ‘don’ts, and you’re already doing better than most guys. Whether you’re wearing a three-piece suit or jeans and a t-shirt, another important matter to consider is comfort. Being comfortable in the clothes you wear – without being lazy – helps put you, and those around you, at ease.
Spend Less to Look Your Best:The Thinking Man’s Guide to Affordable Style
Just Ask – Soft Markets Can Bring Soft Answers
Face it. Because of a downturn in the economies of Europe and North America, every market on the globe is experiencing a slowdown. If you see an item of clothing, jewellery, or any accessory, ask the clerk if the store could lower the price. If the clerk says they cannot, ask them to talk to the manager. Managers know that it’s better to make a small profit than to have items sit in inventory for a long period. This gives them an opportunity to refresh their stock and styles.
Always ask; you may be surprised, especially if you see that an item is moving slowly or if you are a regular or valued customer. While bargaining is probably more apt to happen in Asian markets and stores; Americans are seeing the ability to bargain as quite a new thing in their stores. Rarely would an American question the price on any wearing apparel, now they are being pleasantly surprised. No matter where on the globe you happen to be; it never hurts to ask for a better price.
Stove Pipe Hats and Parachute Pants
You probably assume that any article of clothing you find in a thrift store or used clothing store is only good if you want to go to a costume party. You know, you want to look like M.C. Hammer in his parachute pants, or you want to go as a magician who pulls white rabbits out of a big black hat. You will have to wade through a lot of junk, that’s true, but the wading is worth it for the rare finds. Suits, blazers, shoes, ties, dress shirts, slacks are there to be found. How?
Follow these used clothing or thrift store guidelines:
- Time your arrival: Ask the clerk or manager when they usually get fresh stuff and try to be there early on that day.
- Keep going back. You will find a $699 suit that $50, and a $30 re-tailoring job, will have you going in style.
- Quality shoes can be resoled and polished up.
- Check thoroughly for rips, stains, missing zippers or buttons.
- Know quality when you see it. Shop around at quality clothiers first.
- Try it on if you can. Clean what you buy.
- Know when to say “No!” – as in parachute pants, a blown-out blazer, or a top hat. (Unless you ARE going to a costume party!)
- Most clothes are there because they are out of style. Yet some will still have retail price tags!
- Always ask for a better price before you buy.
Quality Is Often the Best Cost Saver
If you do need and will constantly use certain apparel, it’s often best just to go ahead and get the best the you can afford, maybe even a little bit more – especially these four items:
Well-tailored, quality construction, and classically designed will be worth the cost and last you a considerable amount of time.
The same attributes you find in a suit are to be found in a quality overcoat.
A well-made pair of shoes, also in a classic style, can usually be retrofitted after a year or two of wear, and come back good as new.
Get a really good one that is of heirloom quality, and get a less expensive variety for knock-around wear.
Do You Really Need Calvin Klein Under Pants?
Okay, maybe you do need them once in awhile – if you think you’re going to be lounging around in your underwear the morning after an especially fruitful night. Otherwise, there’s nothing wrong at all with going for three-in-a-pack briefs or boxers. You can get some really terrific socks at most clothing stores, again in a three-packer. T-shirts, the same deal. Besides, underwear should be something you can easily discard; they are protective garments, after all. And speaking of Calvin Klein, do you really need $300 jeans? Stick with Levi’s for a good fit and a good wear.
Web Wear – Don’t forget eBay! Or Old Bay!
You have to be pretty clever to make eBay a good clothing market for yourself. Look for amateurish ads, or those without photos. You may be onto a bargain that the seller doesn’t really know he has! And just shopping in general on the Web for name brands can be cheaper. You can find some great deals on name brand aftershaves and colognes, like Old Bay Spice.
The message is, if you’re patient and pound-wise, you will find ways to have a quality wardrobe that is classic and that is still in line with the times.
Shirt Problems from Real Men
Pink Shirt: Too Feminine or Can Men Get Away With It?
Today, pink mirrors sensitivity, femininity and gentleness. These are the reasons why a lot of people in varying societies perceive men who wear pink as effeminate. However, the colour’s history says otherwise. Dating back in the 19th Century, pink was originally worn by small men. Since pink is the more subtle version of red, it was used by little men back then to emphasize their masculinity. Therefore, long before pink became a symbol of femininity, it first became the colour code for little men.
It really takes a gutsy man to finally decide on buying a pink shirt, and as we all know, ladies love men who are courageous enough to walk with their heads up even if they are wearing pink or floral prints. Most women really find it sexy when a man is able to wear pink with style and masculinity. It’s not really the colour of the shirt that becomes a major turn on for women, but the confidence that men elicit when they wear their pink shirts.
Likewise, it truly is a breath of fresh air to see men who are comfortable with their manhood no matter what shirt they wear. If you are too worried about looking too effeminate, then you might be the one hiding skeletons in your closet. Real men don’t care about what others think of them. They are strong and they know it even if they are wearing the most feminine colour.
All in all, even though pink may be regarded as a feminine colour, there is no reason why men should not wear pink shirts. If a man is confident enough with his sexuality, he does not need to worry about other people’s perception. Real men are fearless, and wearing this colour should not be a big issue.
Tall Men’s Problem in Wearing Shirts
A common problem of tall men is finding the right shirt that would not make them look like they’re customized hangers. But even if this is truly one dilemma that’s hard to resolve, what tall men need to do is study their body type and look for store outlets that sell shirts that could best fit them.
Aside from brands and local stores that cater to tall men, there are also a lot of Internet shops that offer tailor fit shirts to men. This is another alternative especially for men who have broad shoulders and chest. One shop that’s known for their tailored-fit shirts is itailor.com.
No matter how tall or short men are, what’s most important is their ability to embrace their own body type. Just like women, men should love their own.
The Trick to Wearing Daily Formal Wear
Looking smart while still maintaining that masculine everyday look is a challenge every male entrepreneur and employee has to face. But with the right brand of business shirt, men could bid goodbye to this dilemma. Marks and Spencer’s Ultimate shirts are not only cheap, but they are also made up of good, high quality materials that could make any man look smart and chic.
On the other hand, custom-tailored shirts are also one of men’s best choices. Tailored shirts from Massimo Dutti, Ted Baker, Club Monaco, J Crew, Thomas Pink and Hugo Boss are all well-known in this regard.
Interesting Facts about shirts
The Horizontal Last Button
The last button at the bottom part of the shirt undergoes most of the stress because of trousers and shirt garters. To facilitate the spreading of the fabric, the buttonhole is designed horizontally.
Male vs. Female Buttons
In the earlier years, the buttons were positioned at the left side regardless of gender. This was modified when men encountered problems with their shirt because their swords were fixed at the left side of their waist, and getting their sword meant damaging the buttons. As a result, they had to put the buttons of the shirt at the right side.
In the like manner, men usually defend themselves by the use of their right hand, and they need their left hand to be free for adjusting their clothes. Meanwhile, women usually nurse they baby using their left hand and they need their right hand to unbutton their shirt.
The Reason Behind the Shorter Sleeves of Suits
There isn’t really any reason behind this except that it’s more stylish and it could showcase men’s expensive cuffs and watch.
Neck Measurements are Necessities
Neck measurements for men’s dress shirt are important to ensure that the shirt will not choke on the neck because of tightness. Conversely, dress shirts do not look good when paired with a tie if they appear to be too loose.
Buttonholes and Pens
Leaks from pen can be prevented by putting a buttonhole at the breast pocket of dress shirts.
The Introduction of Button Shirts
Back in 2600 B.C., buttons were used as a symbolic device. It was only in the 13th Century when it was introduced as an effective fastener, and it is highly likely that men started to use buttons for their shirts since then.
Do’s and Don’ts When Wearing Business and Casual Shirts
Basically, there are no rules governing the tucking of a shirt. It all depends on which country or state one belongs to, or the event he is attending to. Men wearing a tuxedo automatically tuck the inner shirt to embody style and formality.
Cheat sheets for men are not widely available. What men need to do is know their skin colour and ask for advice from professionals if they would like to learn about the right colours they should wear.
To Starch or Not to Starch
The use of starch is greatly dependent on the fabric of the shirt. If your shirt is made up of low maintenance fabric, you don’t have to use starch anymore. However, if it’s a 100% cotton dress shirt, light to medium starch is needed.
The Linen Shirt Dilemma
Men can wear anything they want and there are no restrictions on what they would like to wear. However, it is wiser to dress appropriately all the time. If it’s a very formal event, it is best that men turn to other garments that could make them look more respectable.
Manliness Equates Tidiness
In a woman’s perspective, nothing could beat a tidy and well-groomed man. Basically, a clean wrinkled shirt and a dirty non-wrinkled shirt both appear unpleasant, but if there is no option left behind, the former is way better than the latter.
Formal events need preparation. Light grey pants are best paired with grey or navy suit. But if a sweater in not on the table, a white shirt or a navy sweater can best complement a pair of light grey pants.
On the other hand, a royal blue shirt allows a lot of experimentation when it comes to colour. The tie should be dependent on the accessories paired with the shirt. If simplicity is what you’re after, stick to cream, charcoal, dark grey or black. If you want to play with colours, you can use a lighter shade of blue, yellow or dark red to add drama to the suit.
Hot and Sunny Day Wear
Sweaters are not advisable to wear during hot, sunny days. If one experiences a hot climate, it is best to wear a light-colored shirt. Stick to white, cream or light blue.If, on the other hand, black is the only option, do not wear a sweater over it.
Watches and French cuff shirts
Customizing French cuff shirts could make the watch more visible. Stick to a slim and simple watch as it matches the formality of French cuff shirts. However, if the cuff isn’t personalized, it is best to leave the watch at home.
Real Life Funny Men’s Shirt Stories
“I got told off today for wearing a polo shirt instead of a shirt and tie by my boss who was in a short skirt and summer blouse.”
This has got to be one of my pet hates. In an office of 50 people there are only 4 men. We are all expected to wear a shirt, tie and suit trousers as anything else is deemed inappropriate. All the while the 46 women can walk around in skirts, vest tops, flip flops or apparently whatever the chuff they want to. Today I biked in to work, about 6 miles, and instead of wearing my work shirt I wore a polo shirt so that I didn’t have to spend all day sitting in stinking clothes. No more than 2 minutes after I walked through the door, my boss dressed in practically beach wear, called me into her office to explain there is a dress code and that I needed to change into something more appropriate! The bloody shirt and tie where in the bag on my back for me to get changed into. I was walking to the toilets past her office to get changed! What is it with this country and the draconian social rules about men having to wear suits to work. ARRRGGHHH. grumble, something about hot weather, grumble
Dress codes vary in different institutions. But if there is discrimination, male employees can ask for help, especially if the rules governing male and female employees are not equal.
Regardless of the gender, what matters most is how men and women embrace themselves including their assets and flaws. Fashion may change, but style will always be eternal.